Deadlines change for Dickinson County transactions
Tuesday, July 28, 2020
New deadlines are in place but time is running out for Dickinson County residents who have delayed their March property tax payments.
"Governor Reynolds’ Proclamation of Disaster Emergency signed on July 24 impacts many of the services provided at the County Treasurer's office," Treasuerer Kris Rowley said. "The proclamation sections related to property taxes were extended through Friday, July 31. The sections related to driving with expired licenses were extended through Aug. 23. The sections related to motor vehicle renewals and title transfers and temporary plates were not extended and expired on July 25, at midnight."
What Dickinson County residents need to know:
• Pay property taxes that were due in March by July 31, 2020 to avoid penalties. Send checks to Dickinson County Treasurer; PO Box AD; Spirit Lake, IA 51360; pay online at IowaTaxAndTags.org; drop payment off in drop box located near west doors of the Courthouse labelled Dickinson County Treasurer or pay by phone at 712-336-1205.
• Pay motor vehicle renewals by Aug. 31, if your registration expired in the months of January 2020 through July 31, 2020. Send checks to Dickinson County Treasurer; PO Box AD; Spirit Lake, IA 51360; pay online at IowaTaxAndTags.org; drop payment off in drop box located near west doors of the Courthouse labelled Dickinson County Treasurer; pay by phone at 712-336-1205.
• If you purchased a vehicle between Feb. 13-March 15, your vehicle must be transferred as soon as possible to avoid penalties. Call 712-336-1205 to get additional information or drop by the office.
• If you purchased a vehicle between March 16-July 25, you must apply for title and registration by Aug. 24 to avoid penalties.
• Driver’s Licenses that expired beginning Jan. 16 and during the proclamation have driving privileges extended through Aug. 23. The Dickinson County drivers license station is open by appointment only – call for an appointment at 712-336-6277 or renew online if eligible at iowadot.gov. Some drivers licenses can be extended for six months for driving purposes online with the Department of Transportation.
• REAL ID driver’s license enforcement was extended until Oct. 1, 2021.
"We are open to the public now, but because of social distancing health needs we are limited to two people in the tax/motor vehicle office and one to two people in the drivers license station," Rowley said. "Face masks are required for entry. We are asking people to pay taxes and motor vehicle renewals through our online website, mail, dropbox or by phone, so we can save the in-office visits for our transactions that require face-to-face visits."
The website for Dickinson County is dickinsoncountyiowa.org. There are links to the Iowa Tax and Tags website, IowaTaxAndTags.org for making property tax and motor vehicle renewal payments. There are also links on the county website in the treasurer tab for motor vehicle forms and to the Iowa Department of Transportation (IDOT). The IDOT offers many drivers license services online if eligible at iowadot.gov.
If you have questions, call the treasurer's office at 712-336-1205 or email the treasurer at firstname.lastname@example.org.