OMS sale hearing moved due to COVID-19 concerns

Monday, March 16, 2020

Officials with the Okoboji School District plan to move the location for tonight's public hearing on the sale of the Okoboji Middle School. In light of concerns related to the spread of the COVID-19 virus, the district will be hosting the public hearing and subsequent board meeting at 5:25 p.m. in the Okoboji Elementary Gymnasium at 705 N Ave. in Milford. Visiters are asked to use the north entrance on Eighth Street to enter the building. The district hopes the new location will allow the public to minimize the potential spread of the virus by providing for more space between individual people.

The meeting will provide the public an opportunity to voice their opinion on the sale of the school property. The school board announced last month that local businessman Neil Slater was the high bidder for the property at $1.1 million. Okoboji Schools Superintendent Todd Abrahamson said the district is required to hold a public hearing before completing the sales agreement but, because of the ballot language which took the sale to public bid in December, he doesn't expect the public hearing will halt the sale.

However, information on the school district's website notes school officials may cancel or postpone the meeting if attendance is significant. Federal and state officials have recently recommended gatherings of 50 people or more be discouraged to cut down on the potential spread of COVID-19. A statement from Dickinson County Emergency Management Monday morning said there are no confirmed cases of the virus in Dickinson County.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: