Letter to the editor
Letter to the Editor:
I am writing in response to the recent letter from Paul Johnson in the recent Dickinson County News. In his letter Mr. Johnson laments the present state of politics and government in the USA.
We need to consider what has brought us to this point.
Here is a list of some of the "nice" things our leaders – Republican and Democrat – have allowed to happen in the USA over the last 50 years or so.
1. Allowed a flood of legal and illegal immigration into the U.S. and failed to protect U.S. citizen labor.
2. Allowed a flood of cheap foreign manufactured goods into the USA — goods that used to be made in the U.S.
3. Allowed debt and inflation to become accepted norms. Robbing workers of savings.
4. Allowed the USA to become dependent on energy supplies from countries who hate U.S. and sponsor terrorism.
5. Allowed the cost of health care to skyrocket.
6. Allowed Social Security to become endangered as a retirement program.
7. Consistently attempted to infringe on the right to keep and bear arms, which is the last line of defense for the masses
8. Used race to divide Americans, when the only real color of privilege is green.
9. Used gender to divide Americans.
10. Promoted to creation of a Nanny State to micromanage Americans lives.
11. Changed our public schools and colleges from educational institutions into indoctrination facilities.
12. Used wars to make money for certain elements.
13. Used poverty as a means to make money for certain elements.
I could go on and on of course.
I would just like to tell Mr. Johnson and any others reading this, is to consider that the present state of affairs in the USA is the result of decades of bad decisions made by our "leaders." We need to think twice before we simplistically blame all of our problems on the present occupant of the White House.