[Nameplate] Fair ~ 70°F  
High: 84°F ~ Low: 67°F
Saturday, Aug. 23, 2014

Wallace "Wally" E. Schilling

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Oct. 23, 1911 -- Feb. 2, 2012

Wallace "Wally" E. Schilling was born on Oct. 23, 1911 to Fred and Ruth (Miller) Schilling in Stanton, Neb. He graduated from Stanton High School in 1929. Later, he moved to Chicago, Ill., where he met Dorthy (Dottie) Newens. The couple was married on Jan. 25, 1936.

Wally enlisted in the Army at the beginning of WWII and served in the 359th Engineering Division until 1944. During his service, he spent time in England and France. Some of his favorite stories included his experiences being a barber and also a guard of prisoners of war. Because of Wally's personality and compassion, he was well respected by all, even the prisoners he guarded.

After the war, he and Dottie moved to Perry and later to Des Moines, where he had a successful magazine distributing company. Upon retirement, 25 years later, the couple moved to Tucson, Ariz.

After several more years, they moved to Rogers, Ariz. in 1977, where Wally founded the Iowa Boat Club. Their years in Rogers were full of their favorite activities -- boating, fishing, bowling, cards, volunteering, and spending time with family and friends.

A health issue for Dottie brought the couple to Heritage Landing in Milford in 2003, to be closer to great-niece, Vicki Willison. Wally's final years with Dottie were spent in the Milford Nursing Home, where he continued to be full of jokes, stories, and the life of the party.

Even after Dottie's passing, Wally still said he'd make it to 100 years. Wally will be missed by all that knew him, but we are happy that he is now again with Dottie.

Wally passed away at the Milford Nursing Center on Feb. 2, 2012 at one hundred years old.

Wally was preceded in death by his wife, Dottie; parents, Fred and Ruth Schilling; brother, Bert Schilling; sisters, Lucy Long, Helen Seifken, Martha Vogel, Alma Rabie, and Agnes Schleture.

Surviving him are a son, Richard Schilling of Charlotte, Fla., one granddaughter, two great-granddaughters, eight great-nieces, and three great-nephews.

Turner Jenness Funeral Home was in charge of arrangements.