Q&A with Coach Stanek
1. Talk about how you look forward to building a program at Okoboji?
"I am really excited to go about developing a strong program that will not only teach football but important life skill and values. Our team philosophy: 'Be One!' is made up of three core characteristics that I think football really lends itself to teaching young men: trust, respect and hard work. And if we establish these values and build these characteristics up we will be successful on the field and in life, and I am just excited to be a part of this team!"
2. From the onset of practice, what goals do you have this season with a very young, inexperienced team?
"I have met individually with almost every player now and we have talked about our goals as a team. I stress the fact that our mission: 'To get better every day' will bring with it success. But our main team goals consist of establishing strong basic fundamentals, coming together as a team and focusing on being a complete student athlete."
3. Talk about the most important aspects of the game you will stress starting off with a completely new team and new staff?
"Blocking, tackling and ball security are the areas we'll focus on the most entering this season."
4. Talk about the importance of creating an exciting atmosphere for these kids and yet still challenging them to get better everyday?
"Football is inherently an exciting game and as such our players have needed no more motivation than to know that we as coaches fully intend to compete and work hard. Our practices are tough, and our players are beginning to understand what it takes to 'Be One!' We keep an up-tempo but a light-hearted spirit during practice and our players really set the pace. They want to get better and they drive themselves. I have been nothing but proud of our guys and how hard they have worked!"
5. Who are your key returning players from last season?
6. Do you have any promising newcomers in the mix?
"We have lots of promising young guys! There are Keaton Jones (So., WR/CB), Brett Barthman (So., QB/CB), Wyatt Slipke (Fr., RB/LB), Blake Enderson (Fr., RB/CB), Mark Nielson (So., WR/S), and many more!"