A tradition that started in 1978 will celebrate its 41st season this year when seven Lakes Area churches highlight the 2019 Lenten season with nondenominational Lenten ecumenical services on Friday mornings in March.
A different church in the Milford and Arnolds Park area will be hosting the service each week. Open to all women and men, the services will begin at 9:30 a.m. followed by coffee and refreshments. No baby-sitting service will be available.
The following churches will be hosting the Friday services:
• March 1 — Faith Community Church (formerly Union Memorial), in Milford, and Excelsior United Methodist Church in rural Milford will host World Day of Prayer at Faith Community. The program will center on the women of Slovenia with the theme "Everything is Ready."
• March 8 — Calvary United Methodist in Arnolds Park.
• March 15 — Light of the Lake Church in Arnolds Park.
• March 22 — St. Joseph Catholic Church in Milford, theme, “Cooking with God 101.”
• March 29 — First Lutheran Church in West Okoboji.
• April 5 — Harbor of Joy Church in Milford.
"We are excited that the long-standing tradition of ecumenical services in the Lakes Area will continue," St. Joseph Catholic Church Committee Member Sharon Mayer, said. "It's amazing that a community event that started in 1978 is still strong today. Committee members find a special bond working with other churches in the community in the planning of the services. Those that attend often get reacquainted with community members they haven’t seen for awhile."