Vehicular homicide case gets new trial dateA vehicular homicide trial involving a Milford driver will see another delay. District Court Judge David Lester on Aug. 3 signed off on a continuance in the State vs. Ann Marie Vanderpool case. The...
Officials release initial report in Doon derailmentThe National Transportation Safety Board has provided a few answers about the derailment of a Burlington Northern Sante Fe Railroad train near the city of Doon which occurred in June. Several tank...
Spirit Lake grad appointed to judicial vacancyAfter conducting interviews and discussion Friday morning, the district court judges of the 3A Judicial District have appointed Andrew J. Smith, of Storm Lake, to the 3A District Associate Judge...
Legacy of the Queen II continues"The Queen II is basically one of a kind," Captain Lance Freed said. "I don't think there's another like it in the country." Freed is one of six captains — the others being Rory Marra, Jim Jensen,...
- Grassley gets local perspective on ag (8/14/18)
- Governor helps dedicate shell building (8/14/18)
- Hall of Famers fill Rock the Roof stage (8/14/18)
- Unauthorized tire disposal draws DNR enforcement (8/14/18)
- Agencies urge caution as Labor Day weekend approaches (8/14/18)
- Friends of Lakeside Lab wins nonprofit challenge (8/14/18)
- Pearson Lakes Art Center hosts upcoming events (8/14/18)
- Nature at Night concludes for summer (8/14/18)
- Two concerts planned at Preservation Plaza (8/14/18)
- U of O slow pitch softball tournament returns (8/14/18)
- Pioneer cross country teams ranked to start 2018 seasonOkoboji girls and boys cross country teams are ranked in Class 2A to start the 2018 season. Both squads return the bulk of the runners who helped the Pioneers to state meet appearances in 2017. The Okoboji girls, led by Magan Christopherson's 12th-place finish, placed eighth in Fort Dodge. The boys, led by Ethan Albright's eighth-place finish, placed 14th overall...
- Wolves, Indians volleyball squads earn preseason rankings
- Eller completes West Okoboji swim
- Care available for area athletes this fall
- IHSAA, Iowa Farm Bureau add HeadStrong Concussion Insurance for 2018-19
- Iowa Lakes teams and student athletes earn academic recognition
- Laker women sign O’Donnell
- 2018 BASEBALL REVIEW: Dickinson County baseball players earn postseason honors
Pondering infinite purposeThe true role a community paper has been on my mind quite a bit over the last several days. It's easy to think the goal of the paper is to sell as many of those clean, crisp, freshly-printed sheets...
Creating a Mental Health ICU in IowaWhen a patient is taken to a rural emergency department after a car accident, there is a clear transfer process in place based on the severity of the patient and the capabilities of the local...
Rev. Albert O. Grendler Jr.Dec. 15, 1932 - Aug. 6, 2018 Rev. Albert O. Grendler Jr., died peacefully on Monday, Aug. 6, 2018, at Holy Spirit Retirement Home in Sioux City. Mass of Christian burial was Friday, Aug. 10, at St....
Patricia FeddersJan. 14, 1943 — Aug. 10, 2018 Patricia Fedders, 75, of Milford passed away peacefully in her home as she wished on Aug. 10, 2018. Funeral services will be held at 2 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 18, at the...
Linda LairdFeb. 2, 1942 — Aug. 8, 2018 A memorial service for Linda Laird, age 76, of Spencer, was held Saturday, Aug. 11, 2018, at Turner Jenness Funeral Home in Spirit Lake. Linda Lee Laird, the daughter of...
Engagement: Orwig, Garland plan September wedding (7/31/18)The parents of Cory Garland and Morgan Orwig are pleased to announce their engagement. The groom to be is the son of Mike and Deanne Garland of Spirit Lake. The bride to be is the daughter of Elwin...
Anniversary: Christoffers celebrate 60th anniversry (7/24/18)Dick and Donna Christoffer will celebrate their 60th wedding anniversary during an open house from 3-5 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 4, at the Arrowwood Resort and Convention Center in Okoboji. They were...
Misc WantedFREON R12 WANTED: CERTIFIED BUYER will PAY CA$H for R12 cylinders or cases of cans. (312) 291-9169; www.refrigerantfinders.com (INCN)
Help WantedCommunity Memorial Health Center in Hartley currently has a part time Dietary Aide position available. Competitive wages and flexible scheduling. Apply in person at the Health Center business office. EOE
MiscellaneousFOR SALE: 16' Alumacraft w/cover. 25 hp Mercury motor. Radio, 4 seats, trolling motor, live well. Floor needs work. Shorelander trailer and hoist. Recently reduced package at $1,200 or best offer. 712-337-3858.
NoticesGUN SHOW - August 17-18-19, Event Center, Mason City. Friday 4pm-9pm, Saturday 9am-5pm, Sunday 9am-3pm. Large selection of rifles, shotguns, handguns & more! Info: 563-608-4401 www.marvkrauspromotions.net (INCN)